Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Football Game!

Pin It
Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his
 commands and do what pleases him.
1 John 3:21-22


Of course I use the "Shoe"... Go Bucks!


A few years ago my son Zia was struggling with time management at school. His teacher, my husband and I were doing everything we could to help him.. from charts, rewards, groundings, punishments, to dropping him off at school an hour early so he could catch up on work! We just couldn't figure out how to help him understand the importance of time management! He has always moved at a slower pace than my husband and myself. He could be the first one awake in the mornings and still be the last one ready! 


Zia is however one of the most laid back kids I have ever known! He is a go with the flow type of kid, and very mild tempered. I can count on one hand the number of times I have ever seen him upset. He is very careful with his emotions. Which can be a great thing... but can be a hard thing for a parent because its hard to measure his feelings on certain things, and the time management set back was one of those things. We just couldn't tell if he was really trying or not. 


Needless to say I was frustrated.. I remember one day I was sitting with him while he did his homework. He had 2 weeks to go before school ended, and a lot of work to catch up on. I sat there praying when God gave me a picture.. A football game! Yes thats right a football game! I scooted over and sat right next time him, asked him to put his pencil down and shared with him the picture God had shared with me. 


Zia was the quarter back!  His teacher, my husband and myself where everywhere.. we were in the stands screaming for Zia to throw the ball, we were the cheerleaders cheering him on, the coaches instructing him, we were his teammates blocking the other team from getting to him, the wind was perfect, the lights were bright, everything was in place for the perfect throw, but he had to throw the ball! Thats what we had been doing.. trying to get his attention, telling him the best ways to manage his time, but it all came down to him! In other words he had to care and believe in himself. Something about that story clicked with him because with in 2 days he was caught up and has never struggled with time again. He may still be slow in the morning but I have learned to live with that. 


There are certain things in life that requires we do something.. acts of obedience that God expects from us. It could be praying for someone, calling someone, reading His word a little bit longer so He can show us the answer we have been seeking. Not to mention living according to His guidelines and not the worlds. I sometime picture myself as the quarter back and I imagine how many times God has been everywhere putting all the pieces in the right place and making sure the wind is in my favor. How many times did He wait on me to get it, they way I waited for my son? 


Can you think of a time when you were the quarterback?  Where the only thing left was for you to take the step of faith in order for something amazing to happen and take place?


I don't think the AHAAA moment comes from us knowing the outcome of the throw, but understanding that God does and having the faith in God that He has already equipped us with the ability to win the game, because He has already won the Super Bowl!  


Beloved, our Father is our coach, our cheerleader, our water boy, our teammate, our trainer, our chiropractor, our play maker, and our biggest fan. He is everything.. But in order for His will to be done he requires us to be bold and take the step of faith and throw the ball! 


Stella


Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.
Matthew 21:21  


For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.
Acts 11:24 



And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Seems like we are at that place with our son Noah - trying to help him GET IT! But truth is we as the adults still are strugling also. Thanks be to God that He is always there leading us on!

    ReplyDelete